These Vegan Grilled Portobello Burgers are packed with umami flavors thanks to the scrumptious marinade. When piled high with additions like grilled onions and vegan pesto, it’s a burger you’ll want to make every weekend. The grilled portobello mushrooms are also perfect as a side dish all on their own.
- 4 whole portobello mushrooms
For the marinade
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamari (or soy sauce or coconut aminos)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (~2 cloves) minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons white or chickpea miso
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 4 hamburger buns (I used gluten-free buns from Canyon Bakehouse)
- Vegan pesto
- Fresh arugula
- Heirloom tomato
- Grilled white onions
- Balsamic glaze
- Cut the stems off of the portobello mushrooms and wipe them clean with a damp towel. Use a spoon to remove the gills from the bottom of the mushrooms.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic marinade, tamari, lemon juice, olive oil, minced garlic, miso, and maple syrup until fully combined.
- Place the portobello mushrooms in a FoodSaver bag and pour the marinade over them. Vacuum seal the bag according to FoodSaver’s directions and let marinate at room temperature for 10 to 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, heat the grill to medium heat. You can also use a grill pan. Brush the grill with avocado oil. Use tongs to remove the mushrooms from the bag one at a time and place them directly on the grill. Grill for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until you see grill marks forming and the mushroom is cooked through.
- If you’re making burgers, I’d recommend grilling your buns and onions as well while the mushrooms cook.
- Assemble the burgers with the additions that I mentioned, or with whatever other options you prefer. Serve immediately and devour!
- If you have any leftovers, you can store all of the ingredients separately, or assemble the burgers and store them in a vacuum-sealed FoodSaver bag. If you choose the second, I recommending heating them up panini-style!
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mushroom, burgers, portobello, vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, dinner