This easy Vegan Corn Chowder is made with fresh (or frozen) corn, potatoes, and coconut milk for a super creamy and delicious corn chowder – you won’t miss the dairy! You only need 8 ingredients and about 40 minutes to make this healthy vegan soup. It’s also nut-free!
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium white or yellow onion
- 2 stalks celery, diced
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 cups fresh sweet corn kernels, reserve some to garnish, you can also use frozen or canned corn
1 can full-fat coconut milk
2½ cups water or vegetable broth
- Fresh corn kernels
- Chives or green onions
- In a soup pot, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion and celery and cook for about 5 minute on medium-low heat, until translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant, and then add in the potatoes and corn kernels. Cook for 7-8 minutes, or until the vegetables have just started to caramelize and the potatoes have softened slightly. Stir in the salt, pepper, and smoked paprika.
- Add the water (or broth) and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, and then cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes (this may be slightly less or more, depending on the size of your potatoes), or until the potatoes have softened and are cooked through.
- Using an immersion blender, puree about half the soup (or as much as you’d like – I like having some chunks). If you don’t have an immersion blender, carefully transfer about half of the soup to a blender and blend until smooth, then add it back into the soup pot.
- Ladle into serving bowls and serve with green onions, fresh corn, and croutons on top.
To store: it can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months; let thaw in the refrigerator before reheating over the stove or in the microwave.
Keywords: corn chowder, vegan soup, corn soup, fresh corn, frozen corn, vegan chowder