My family has been making these Fried Cheese Empanadas for as long as I can remember! We always served these simple 3-ingredient empanadas with powdered sugar for the perfect sweet & savory combination. You’ll love them!
- 1 12-pack package empanada dough (we use La Saltena brand, make sure you get the kind specifically for frying)
- 3/4 lb. jack cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- Vegetable oil (enough for deep frying)
- In a bowl, mix together the beaten egg and jack cheese.
- Lay out the empanada dough rounds and put some water into a bowl.
- Using a pastry brush (or your fingers), put water around the edges of each empanada dough round.
- Place about 1 heaping tablespoon of the jack cheese mixture on each round (may vary depending on the size of your rounds.)
- Fold over each round into a half-moon shape and crimp the edges with a fork.
- Heat oil in a deep saucepan to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare a cooling rack covered paper towels and keep close to the frying station.
- When oil is heated fully, place 2-3 empanadas (based on the size of your pan, don’t overcrowd them) and cook them until golden brown on both sides, about 2-3 minutes.
- Repeat until all empanadas are cooked, letting cool on the prepared cooling rack.
- Serve hot, and with powdered sugar if desired. Yummy! Enjoy :)
Note: This recipe can easily adapt to different cheeses, fillings, sauces, ect. This is just my personal favorite. :) Feel free to try out variations and let me know how they turn out!
Keywords: bolivian empanadas, cheese empanadas, chilean empanadas