This Strawberry Rhubarb Chia Jam is fresh, easy to make, and only uses 5 ingredients. It’s made without pectin and uses nutritious chia seeds as the thickener! This easy refrigerator jam is vegan and sweetened with maple syrup.
- 12 oz. fresh rhubarb, cubed – cut each stalk down the middle and then chop
- 12 oz. strawberries, quartered
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rhubarb, strawberries, and maple syrup. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently. After 5 minutes, when the mixture is starting to release juices, use a potato masher (or a fork) to lightly mash the strawberries and rhubarb.
- Add the chia seeds and lemon juice and reduce the heat to medium-low. Continue cooking uncovered, stirring occasionally to prevent the bottom from scorching, for about 30 to 35 minutes or until the mixture has thickened and there are no big fruit chunks left. The jam will continue to thicken as it cools so don’t let it reduce too much.
- Let cool completely before transferring to clean jars. Keep in a sealed jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Recipe adapted from Cookie & Kate’s Rhubarb Jam
Cut this recipe in half if you only want one jar of jam!
Keywords: strawberry, rhubarb, chia jam, jam, jelly, vegan