This Vegan Basil Pesto is loaded with bright herby flavor and made in just a few minutes. You won’t miss the cheese in this paleo, vegan, keto + Whole30-friendly pesto. It will make any meal more flavorful, whether it’s tossed with pasta, enjoyed with your favorite protein, or used as a spread.
- ¼ cup walnuts or your favorite nut
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups fresh spinach (or more basil)
- 2 small garlic cloves, see Notes
- Zest & juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the olive oil in a food processor or high-powered blender (I used my Vitamix). Pulse on low speed until the ingredients are starting to break down. Slowly stream in the oil with the machine on low until the sauce begins to come together.
- Make sure to scrape down the sides if you’re using a food processor. If you’re using a blender, keep the motor on low and use a tamper/scrape down the sides to make sure your pesto doesn’t become too smooth and pureed. You want the ingredients broken up into little bits, but not completely smooth. Taste, and add more salt, pepper, and lemon to your tastes. If you want a thinner pesto, add more olive oil or add water to get to your desired consistency.
- Pour into an airtight jar or container to store. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for a few months.
If you happen to have roasted garlic on hand, try substituting 5 or 6 cloves roasted garlic in place of the raw!