This is a dairy-free & vegan version of Pesto Rosso, the classic Italian sun-dried tomato pesto. It is easy to make in just a few minutes and is packed with umami flavors. You’ll find tons of ways to use this delicious pesto.
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes
⅓ cup raw almonds or cashews
¼ cup fresh basil, optional, can also add ½ teaspoon dried basil or skip
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional, can use parmesan cheese if preferred
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes, plus more to taste
¾ cup olive oil, add up to an extra ¼ cup if using dry sun-dried tomatoes or if you like a thinner pesto
- In a food processor, combine all of the ingredients except for the oil.
- Add in half of the oil, pulse to break up the ingredients, and then drizzle in the rest of the oil as the machine runs until you get to your desired texture. Scrape down the sides of the food processor container as needed.
- Taste and add more acid/salt/heat as desired.
- Use immediately or transfer to a jar and store in the refrigerator for up to a week. If you’re using it in a recipe, allowing it to come to room temperature before using can help it incorporate more easily.
Keywords: pesto rosso, sun-dried tomato pesto, red pesto, vegan red pesto, vegan pesto rosso, dairy-free pesto rosso