Calling all peanut butter lovers! These Gluten-Free Vegan Peanut Butter Millionaire’s Shortbread will knock your socks off. They have a layer of coconut flour shortbread, a quick no-cook peanut butter caramel, and a layer of dark chocolate.
For the crust
- ⅓ cup (66g) coconut oil, solid, use refined for no coconut flavor
- 3 tablespoons (63g) pure maple syrup
- ⅔ cup (85g) Bob’s Red Mill coconut flour
- Pinch of sea salt
For the filling
- 1 cup peanuts, chopped, I used roasted unsalted peanuts
- ½ cup (128g) creamy peanut butter, see Notes
- ⅓ cup (111g) pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup (66g) coconut oil, melted, use refined for no coconut flavor
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, skip if your peanut butter is salted
For the chocolate topping
- 1 cup (6 oz.) dark chocolate, either in chips or chopped bars
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a 14×5” tart pan or 8×8” square pan with coconut oil (I recommend lining the pan with parchment paper as well if your pan doesn’t have a removable bottom).
- Combine the maple syrup and coconut oil and stir until incorporated. If needed, microwave for about 15 seconds to fully combine. Stir in the Bob’s Red Mill coconut flour and salt. Mix until the dough comes together completely.
- Press the dough into the prepared pan. Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges. Let cool completely.
- Sprinkle the chopped peanuts evenly over the baked crust.
- For the filling, combine the coconut oil and maple syrup. Heat together in a small saucepan or in the microwave until all of the ingredients are melted together and throughly combined. Whisk in the peanut butter, vanilla extract, and salt, if using. Pour over the peanuts and crust and let cool in the refrigerator until set before topping with chocolate layer.
- For the chocolate topping, melt together the chocolate and peanut butter and pour over the cooled caramel layer. Smooth evenly and sprinkle with flaky sea salt, if desired. Let cool until set. Cut into 16 squares. Keep stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Make sure your peanut butter is made with JUST peanuts or peanuts and salt. No added oils here!
- Category: Desserts
Keywords: gluten-free, vegan, peanut butter, twix, homemade twix, healthy twix