This Peanut Butter & Jelly Banana Bread will remind you of a PB&J, but in soft & sweet banana bread form. This recipe is gluten-free, vegan, and layered with homemade strawberry chia jam and creamy peanut butter.
For the banana bread
- 1⅓ cups overripe bananas, mashed (about 3 medium bananas, mine weighed ~340g)
- ¼ cup almond milk, or other dairy-free milk of choice
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup (64g) peanut butter
- ¼ cup (50g) coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (120g) oat flour
- 1 cup (96g) blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
For the filling/topping
- 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 8.5” x 4.5″ loaf pan (you can also use a 9×5” pan) with coconut oil and/or line with parchment paper.
- Place bananas in a large mixing bowl. Use a potato masher or fork to mash them well. Add almond milk, coconut sugar, peanut butter, coconut oil, flax meal, and vanilla extract, stirring to combine.
- Add oat flour, almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Stir until combined.
- Pour half into loaf pan. Add a layer of the strawberry jam on top, about half of it. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of peanut butter on top too. Lightly swirl in with a knife.
- Layer the rest of the batter on top and top with the remaining jam and peanut butter, swirling it on top.
- Bake for 50 minutes to an hour, or until a knife comes out clean. If your loaf looks like it’s getting too brown, tent with tin foil on top after 40 minutes. If you’re using a 9×5” pan, check on the banana bread after 40-45 minutes.
- Once done, let cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then remove from pan and place on a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
- Store leftovers tightly wrapped in plastic wrap, foil, or in a sealed container on the counter for up to three days, or store in the refrigerator for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months. I like to slice it and then freeze and heat a piece in the microwave when I want it!
For the jam
- Dice the berries, if you’re using fresh berries. Place the diced berries in a small bowl. Microwave for one minute. If you’re using frozen berries, cover and microwave them whole for 2 minutes and then mash the berries up. Stir in the chia seeds. Microwave for one more minute, and then let cool slightly before using.
- Calories: 304
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 260
- Fat: 14
- Saturated Fat: 5
- Carbohydrates: 21
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 7
Keywords: peanut butter, jelly, banana bread, breakfast, dessert