This Magic Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie is a big, gooey and decadent gluten-free, paleo, and vegan dessert. With chocolate, walnuts, and coconut, it’s reminiscent of my longtime favorite, magic cookie bars. It’s best topped with ice cream and so easy to make. Thanks to Oster for sponsoring this post!
Mother’s Day is coming up this weekend. So, I made this Magic Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie with my beautiful momma in mind. It’s a combination of the flavors from two of the desserts we used to make together all of the time…Magic Cookie Bars and Chocolate Chip Cookies.
During the holiday season, we would make many batches of each – dirtying the counter with walnuts, chocolate, and coconut; our trusty hand mixer covered in dough. Both of the recipes are long-time favorites of mine, and I thought it’s about time I bring the flavors of them together. Why not do it in gooey, decadent, skillet cookie form??
We make this recipe in the same way as a simple chocolate chip cookie. But, we add some extra Magic Cookie Bar-inspired mix-ins and bake it in a small cast iron skillet so it turns out with crispy edges, and a melted, gooey center. Perfect for serving warm with vanilla ice cream, or drizzled with sweetened condensed coconut milk.
Let’s put some MAGIC in this Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie 🍪✨
Since my magic chocolate chip skillet cookie is gluten-free, paleo, and vegan, the ingredients are different from a classic chocolate chip cookie. Though, the method is traditional! First, we whip together the coconut oil and the coconut sugar until well combined and creamy. I used the Oster Hand Mixer with HEATSOFT Technology, which has a unique heating feature that helps to soften the coconut oil while it blends, making it super creamy and easy to blend. It softens cooking fats, like butter or coconut oil, 12x faster than leaving them on the counter!
Once the coconut oil and coconut sugar mixture is nice and soft, I turn off the heating technology and use the hand mixer as you normally would while making cookies – it makes it so quick! I blended in the vanilla extract and flax egg, and then the dry ingredients – blanched almond flour, baking soda, and salt. Once combined, we add the toasted coconut, toasted walnuts, and dark chocolate chunks. Try to resist eating all of the dough out of the bowl at this point.
We press the dough into a small cast iron skillet (or another small oven-safe dish) and bake until golden brown. Serve it warm, when the chocolate is still melty, and the center of the cookie is still gooey and a little underbaked. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and you’ll be in cookie heaven. The crunch of the walnuts with the toasted coconut and chocolate leaves a little bit of magic on your tongue. Enjoy!!
Magic Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
- ¼ cup coconut oil solid
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 flax egg 1 tablespoon flax meal whisked with 2.5 tablespoons of water, let set for 5 minutes (a regular egg can also be used)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (96g) blanched almond flour
- ⅓ cup (2 oz.) dark chocolate chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped toasted walnuts
- ⅓ cup toasted coconut flaked or shredded is fine - I used flaked
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease a 6-inch cast iron skillet with coconut oil.
Beat together the coconut oil and coconut sugar until smooth. I used the Oster Hand Mixer with HEATSOFT Technology to mix my dough. Add the flax egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, salt, and baking soda to the wet ingredients. Mix until well incorporated. Fold in the chopped chocolate, walnuts, and coconut.
- Press the dough into the prepared pan and bake for 16 to 20 minutes or just beginning to turn golden brown around the edges and set in the center.
- Remove from oven and serve warm - alone, or with whipped coconut cream or non-dairy ice cream.
- For any leftovers, remove from the skillet and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Thanks so much to Oster for sponsoring this post, and to you for supporting the brands that make Bakerita possible!