These Lemon Macaroons are bright with lemon flavor, with a touch of maple sweetness and a deliciously chewy texture. The tart lemon glaze is made with coconut butter. You’re going to love these irresistibly scrumptious gluten-free, paleo, and vegan macaroons.
- ⅓ cup (32g) almond flour
- 1½ cups (120g) unsweetened finely shredded coconut, sometimes called desiccated coconut
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup (156g) maple syrup
- ¼ cup (60g ) coconut butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice + zest of one lemon
For the glaze
- 2 tablespoons (30g) coconut butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon (20g) maple syrup, if it had been refrigerated, heat it up a bit
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1–3 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- Preheat the oven to 275°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together the almond flour, shredded coconut, salt, maple syrup, melted coconut butter, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest until thoroughly combined.
- With a small cookie scoop, scoop the dough and pack it in so the top is flat and then release onto the baking sheet. Repeat until you’ve used the rest of the dough, spacing the macaroons evenly on the baking sheet. They won’t spread, just puff slightly, so they can all go on one.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then rotate the pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes more, until the macaroons are golden around the edges.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. While they’re cooling, prepare the lemon glaze: in a small bowl, whisk together the coconut butter, maple syrup, and lemon juice. Whisk in 1 tablespoon of the melted coconut oil, until smooth. If the glaze seizes up at all, whisk in the remaining coconut oil until smooth (or just to thin it out to your desired consistency).
- Once the glaze is prepared, dip the top of the macaroons down into the glaze, letting the excess drip off, and then place back on the baking sheet to set. Alternatively, you can put the glaze into a ziplock bag, snip the corner, and drizzle it on. Garnish with lemon zest, if desired.
- Once the glaze has firmed up, store leftover macaroons in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. You can place them in an airtight container or freezer-safe zip-top bag, and freeze for up to 1 month.
Keywords: lemon, macaroons, gluten free, vegan, paleo, cookies