- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3 quarts boiling water
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon each: poppy seeds, sesame seeds, caraway seeds, minced dried onion, and coarse salt
- Place water, sugar and yeast in the bowl of a mixer and let sit until foamy, about 5 minutes. Mix together flour and salt and slowly add to the yeast mixture until completely combined. Using the dough hook or by hand, knead for about 2 minutes until the dough is smooth.
- When the dough is smooth, let it rest in a warm place for about thirty minutes.
- Cut dough into 10 equal pieces (for smaller bagels) or 6 equal pieces (for larger bagels), and roll each piece into a small ball. Flatten balls slightly. Poke a hole in the middle of each with your thumb. Twirl the dough on your finger or thumb to enlarge the hole, and to even out the dough around the hole. Cover bagels with a clean cloth, and let rest for at least 1 hour.
- While the dough is resting, boil the 3 quarts of water. Once the water has reached a boil, add the three tablespoons of sugar.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Sprinkle an ungreased baking sheet with cornmeal. Mix together all the seeds and the salt. Carefully transfer bagels to boiling water. Boil for 1 minute, turning halfway through. Drain briefly on a clean towel. Arrange boiled bagels on baking sheet. Glaze tops with egg white, and sprinkle with the seed mixture.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until well browned. Enjoy!
Cinnamon Raisin: Add 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and 3/4 cup of raisins to the dough when adding in the flour. Eliminate the seed mixture.
Asiago: Add 1/2 cup of Asiago cheese to the dough when you’re adding the flour and top with additional cheese right before baking. Leave out the seed topping.
Chocolate Chip: Add in 1 cup of miniature chocolate chips to the dough with the flour. Leave off the seed mixture.
Keywords: bagels, baking, bread, snack, breakfast, homemade, everything, chocolate chip, cinnamon raisin