These Gluten-Free Vegan Lemon Cookies are soft in texture, sweet, and tangy, thanks to the fresh lemon juice and zest. If you’re a lemon dessert lover, these are for you!
- 3 tablespoons (37g) light, fruity olive oil
- 3 tablespoons (48g) creamy cashew butter or other creamy nut butter
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1½ flax eggs, see Notes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice + 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⅔ cups (160g) blanched almond flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
Raw cane sugar, turbinado sugar, or coconut sugar
- In a large bowl, stir together the olive oil, nut butter, and coconut sugar until fully combined.
- Beat in the flax egg, then stir in the vanilla extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the blanched almond flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir together until completely combined.
- Place dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before forming balls to make it easier to work with – you can leave the dough in the fridge (covered) for up to 48 hours.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Put the sugar in a small bowl to roll the cookies in.
- Use a cookie scoop to make cookie dough balls, roll into a ball with your hands, and then roll each dough ball in the sugar mixture. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet and press down with your palm to flatten them slightly.
- Bake for about 9 to 11 minutes in the preheated oven, depending on the size of your cookies, or until they’ve puffed and cracked. Let cool completely on the cookie sheet.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
To make flax eggs: whisk together 1½ tablespoons flax meal with 5 tablespoons water, whisk and let gel for 5 minutes before using.