Gluten-Free Vegan Lemon Blueberry Scones are going to become your new favorite breakfast and snack. They have a tender texture with a crispy exterior and are full of bright, lemony flavor.
- 2⅓ cups (224g) blanched almond flour
- ¾ cup (96g) arrowroot flour or tapioca flour
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- ½ cup (100g) coconut oil, firm
- ¼ cup full-fat canned coconut milk, plus a little extra to brush on top of the scones
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus zest
- 1 flax egg, see Notes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Raw turbinado sugar, to sprinkle on top (optional)
- In a food processor or large mixing bowl, combine the blanched almond flour, arrowroot flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon, if using. Pulse or whisk together.
- Add in the coconut oil and pulse or use a pastry cutter or fork to work the coconut oil into the dry ingredients until only very small chunks of coconut oil remain.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, lemon juice and zest, flax egg, and vanilla extract. Add to the dry ingredients and stir or pulse until completely combined. Stir in the blueberries.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet and dust with arrowroot flour. Put the dough on top of the parchment, dust with more arrowroot flour, and press into a circle, about 1 1/2” thick and 8” across. Place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours to chill. If leaving in the refrigerator for more than a few hours, I recommend wrapping the dough in plastic wrap so it doesn’t dry out.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375ºF. Cut the circle into 8 scones and separate from each other so they’re not touching. Use a pastry brush to brush the top of the scones with a small amount of coconut milk. Sprinkle with raw turbinado sugar, if using. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm or let cool completely before serving. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
For the flax egg: in a small bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon flax meal with 2½ tablespoons water. Let set to gel for 5 to 10 minutes before using.
- Category: Breakfast, Snacks
Keywords: blueberry, lemon, scones, gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free, paleo