These Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Sweet Rolls are soft, chocolatey, and made with wholesome ingredients. Made in under an hour, you can be enjoying these sweet rolls in no time!
For the dough
- 1 cup unsweetened non–dairy milk, (I used almond milk), warmed slightly
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons (75g) coconut oil, melted and cooled
- ¼ cup (20g) psyllium husks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3½ cups (336g) Bob’s Red Mill blanched almond flour
- 1 cup (113g) Bob’s Red Mill tapioca flour
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons Bob’s Red Mill baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Bob’s Red Mill baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the filling
- ¼ cup vegan butter, coconut oil, or ghee, softened
- 4 oz. dark chocolate, very finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon, cinnamon, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease a cast iron skillet, 8-by-8 inch baking dish, or other similarly sized baking dish with coconut oil.
- Whisk together the nut milk and apple cider vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add the melted coconut oil and vanilla extract and whisk to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the psyllium husks to the liquid (you don’t want to do this before or the liquid will become too thick), whisk it in, and immediately add to the dry ingredients.
- Use a spatula or wooden spoon to mix everything together until a loose dough is formed. It will be relatively soft and a little bit sticky, but shouldn’t be overly sticky. If it is, add an extra tablespoon or two of tapioca flour.
- Put down a sheet of parchment paper or plastic wrap and dust generously with tapioca flour. Place the dough on top.
- Press into a large rectangle and then use a rolling pin to even it out into a rectangle about 12 inches by 8 inches and about 1/4 inch thick.
- In a small bowl, stir together the ghee or vegan butter and chopped chocolate until fully combined. Use a small offset spatula to spread all over the dough.
- Use the plastic wrap or parchment paper to help roll up the dough lengthwise, keeping it as tightly rolled as possible.
- Gently slice into 10 rolls, then add to oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.