These Easy Gluten-Free Vegan Chai Muffins are spiced with all the flavors of a masala chai and topped with a simple cashew butter glaze. They have fluffy insides and sugared crunchy tops. The perfect cozy muffin!
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk, or dairy-free milk of choice
- 1 chai or black tea bag
- ¾ cup (195g) pumpkin puree, mashed banana, or applesauce
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup (64g) raw cashew butter, or other nut or seed butter
- ¼ cup (50g) coconut oil, melted, use refined for no coconut flavor
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (120g) gluten-free oat flour
1 cup (96g) blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 4 teaspoons chai spice mix
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Turbinado sugar, to sprinkle on top
For the glaze
- ¼ cup cashew butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, or more as needed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners or grease with coconut oil.
- Heat the unsweetened almond milk until it’s just steaming. Steep the black tea or chai in the milk as directed on the tea – usually 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once steeped, combine the milk, pumpkin, coconut sugar, cashew butter, coconut oil, and vanilla extract, stirring to combine.
- Add oat flour, almond flour, flax meal, chai spice mix, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir until combined.
- Divide between the 10 to 12 muffin tins (10 will give bigger fluffier muffins, 12 will be slightly smaller). Sprinkle with turbinado sugar before baking if desired from a crunchy, sugary crust.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean and the muffins spring back when pressed lightly with a fingertip. Once done, let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months. I like to freeze and heat a muffin in the microwave when I want it!
To make the glaze:
- Whisk together the cashew butter, maple syrup, and coconut oil until a drizzle-able consistency is reached. Add more coconut oil if needed. Drizzle over muffins.
Keywords: chai spice, cashew butter glaze, vegan muffins, gluten-free muffins