These Gluten-Free Vegan Carrot Cake Muffins are so tender and flavorful! They’re the perfect healthy breakfast or snack to enjoy all Spring long.
- ⅓ (75g) cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ¾ cup (6 ounces) unsweetened almond milk or other dairy-free milk
- ¼ cup (64g) creamy almond butter or other nut or seed butter
- ¼ cup (50g) refined coconut oil melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (120g) gluten-free oat flour
- 1 cup (96g) blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with liners or grease with coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine applesauce, coconut sugar, almond milk, nut butter, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Add oat flour, almond flour, flax meal, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir until combined. Fold in the shredded carrots and nuts.
- Divide between the 12 muffin tins. Garnish with a pecan, if desired. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until puffy and a toothpick comes out clean. The muffins should spring back when pressed lightly with a fingertip.
- Once done, let cool completely on a wire rack. If desired, glaze the muffins with drizzled coconut butter.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container on the counter for up to three days, or store in the refrigerator for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months. I like to freeze and heat a muffin in the microwave when I want it!
- The applesaucecan be replaced with mashed banana or even pumpkin!
- Any granulated sweetener can be used in place of the coconut sugar, but don’t use a liquid sweetener, like honey or maple syrup.
- Any kind of neutrally flavored oil can work in place of the coconut oil, or even melted butter (vegan or regular).
- You can use all of either type of flour if necessary, or replace with a GF AP Baking flour. If you can though, the recommended flours will make for the best texture.
- Category: muffins, breakfast
Keywords: gluten-free, vegan, carrot cake, carrot muffins