This Gluten-Free Vegan Caramel Apple Crisp will have you serving yourself seconds! With a luscious caramel apple filling and oatmeal crumble topping, this vegan holiday dessert is irresistible.
For the apple filling
- 2 pounds fresh apples, peeled, cored and sliced in ¼” slices
- ¼ cup (50g) coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons (14g) tapioca flour
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the crisp topping
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Prepare an 8×8” baking pan (or similarly sized baking dish) by lightly greasing it with coconut oil. Set aside.
- Place the sliced apples in a large bowl. Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in the tapioca flour until dissolved, and then whisk in the coconut sugar, maple syrup, water, cinnamon, and salt. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 3 minutes to thicken and melt together, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat, add the vanilla extract, and then pour the caramel sauce over the sliced apples.
- Toss to coat all of the apple slices and pour into the prepared pan, spreading out the apples evenly.
- In a separate bowl, combine the almond flour, tapioca flour, rolled oats, and coconut sugar. Add the coconut oil and using a pastry cutter, two forks, or your hands, work the coconut oil into the flour until it comes together into a course meal with no dry flour remaining. Toss in the pecans.
- Cover the fruit evenly with the oat topping and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown and the fruit filling is bubbling. If topping is browning too quickly, tent the pan with aluminum foil halfway through to prevent burning.
- Let cool slightly before serving warm. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords: apple, crisp, crumble, pie, pecans, gluten free, vegan, paleo