These savory Gluten-Free Sourdough Scones are the perfect use for your gluten-free sourdough discard! They’re flavored with everything seasoning, and make for a delicious breakfast or snack.
- 1¾ cup (174g) blanched almond flour
- ⅔ cup (85g) arrowroot flour
- 2 tablespoons everything bagel seasoning, plus more to garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ cup (66g) refined coconut oil, firm
- ½ cup (125g) gluten-free sourdough discard, see Notes
- ⅓ cup dairy-free milk
For the scones
- In a food processor or large mixing bowl, combine the blanched almond flour, arrowroot flour, everything bagel seasoning, nutritional yeast, baking powder, and salt. Pulse or whisk together.
- Add in the coconut oil and pulse or use a pastry cutter or fork to work the coconut oil into the dry ingredients until only small chunks of coconut oil remain.
- Whisk together the dairy-free milk and starter, and then add to the dry ingredients and stir or pulse until completely combined.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet and dust with arrowroot flour. Put the dough on top of the parchment, dust with more arrowroot flour, and press into a square, about 3/4” thick and 7 to 8-inches on each side. Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour to chill.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375F. Cut the square into nine smaller squares by cutting it into thirds on each side. Cut each of those squares diagonally. Separate from each other on the baking sheet so they’re not touching.
- Sprinkle each scone with more everything bagel seasoning. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm. They’re delicious with a little bit of vegan butter or cream cheese.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
For the discard: this recipe uses a sourdough starter as an ingredient, so if you’re not maintaining a sourdough starter, this isn’t the recipe for you! Don’t use discard that is from a super new starter – it should be smelling good and at least a week old. The starter does not need to be active and should be fed with about 100% hydration.
- Category: scones
- Method: Baking
Keywords: scones, sourdough, sourdough discard, gluten-free, everything, savory, snacks