For the muffins
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk, or dairy-free milk of choice
- ¼ cup raw cashew butter, or other nut or seed butter
- ¼ cup refined coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, from 1 large lemon or 2 small lemons
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest, from about 2 lemons
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
For the lemon glaze
- ¼ cup coconut butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 to 4 tablespoons almond milk, warmed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners or grease with coconut oil.
- Combine the applesauce, almond milk, coconut sugar, cashew butter, coconut oil, lemon juice, and lemon zest, stirring to combine. Warm slightly in the microwave if the coconut oil seizes up.
- Add oat flour, almond flour, flax meal, poppy seeds, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir until combined.
- Divide between the 12 muffin tins. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Once done, let cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the glaze: in a small bowl, whisk together the coconut butter, maple syrup, and lemon juice. Whisk in 1 tablespoon of the warmed almond milk, until smooth. Continue to add almond milk and whisking to thin it out to your desired consistency. Spoon over the muffins. Garnish with more poppy seeds, if you want.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months. I like to freeze and heat a muffin in the microwave when I want it!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: lemon poppyseed, muffins, muffin recipes, vegan muffins, gluten-free muffins, poppyseed, breakfast