Meet your new favorite chewy cookie – these Gluten-Free Vegan Chai Sugar Cookies! These Paleo-friendly cookies have a crispy exterior with a tender, chewy center. Plus, more than 20 other gluten-free cookie recipes!
For the cookies
- 3 tablespoons (37g) refined coconut oil, softened with a texture similar to softened butter
- 3 tablespoons (48g) creamy cashew or almond butter, or other creamy nut butter
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 ½ flax eggs, see Notes
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ⅔ cups (160g) blanched almond flour
- 2 teaspoons chai spice mix
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
To roll the cookies in
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar or raw turbinado sugar
- 1 teaspoon chai spice mix
- In a large bowl, stir together the coconut oil, nut butter, and coconut sugar until fully combined, about 1 minute.
- Beat in the flax egg, then stir in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the blanched almond flour, chai spice mix, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir together until completely combined.
- Place dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before forming balls to make it easier to work with – you can leave the dough in the fridge (covered) for up to 48 hours.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together the sugar and chai spice mix in a small bowl to roll the cookies in.
- Use a cookie scoop to make cookie dough balls, roll into a ball with your hands, and then roll each dough ball in the sugar mixture. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 9 to 11 minutes in the preheated oven, depending on the size of your cookies, or until they’ve puffed and cracked. Let cool completely on the cookie sheet.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
For the flax egg, combine 1.5 tablespoons flax meal + 4 tablespoons water in a small bowl. Whisk and let set for 10 minutes, until thickened. If you prefer, you can use a regular egg + one egg yolk.