- ½ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 18 1 ounce squares bittersweet chocolate (best quality you can afford)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 10 strawberries, sliced (optional)
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Line one 10 inch round cake pan (or springform pan) with parchment paper, grease, and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the water, salt and sugar. Stir until completely dissolved and set aside.
- In the microwave or on top of a double boiler, melt the chocolate. Place melted chocolate in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Cut the butter into about 16 pieces and beat the butter into the chocolate, 1 piece at a time. Beat in the hot sugar-water. Slowly beat in the eggs, one at a time. The batter will resemble chocolate frosting.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Have a pan larger than the cake pan ready, put the cake pan in the larger pan and fill the pan with boiling water halfway up the sides of the cake pan. (I do this by placing the two pans in the oven and then filling with water – I’m less likely to spill boiling water all over the place!)
- Bake cake in the water bath at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 45 minutes. The center will still look wet. Chill cake overnight in the pan. To unmold, dip the bottom of the cake pan in hot water for 10 seconds and invert onto a serving plate. If desired, decorate cake with strawberries. Right before serving, sieve the powdered sugar over the top of the cake.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 45
Keywords: cake, chocolate, strawberries, dessert, flourless