These two-layer Cookie Dough Brownies feature a rich, chewy chocolate brownie topped with eggless mini chocolate chip-filled cookie dough!
Cookie dough + brownies. Arguably two of the world’s best creations when they’re on their own. Together? Irresistible.
The inspiration for this recipe came from a treat I had in London. My friends Izzy, Paige, and I were wandering around the Real Food Market on the Southbank (which was recommended by one of my readers – thanks! :D) and we saw the cutest little dessert stand. Obviously, we couldn’t resist picking up a few treats to bring back with us to snack on.
The first bar we got was a Snickers Bar, which was pretty darn delicious, and the second was a cookie dough brownie. The brownie looked fudgy and rich, with a thick layer of cookie dough on top. Reality was a little less impressive. The brownie wasn’t as chocolately as it should have been, and it was on the verge of being too dry. The cookie dough was too sweet and didn’t have any flavor – just sweetness with too few chocolate chips. We weren’t impressed.
After we all took a bite, we agreed that I need to remake these brownies, and make them taste the way you would want a cookie dough brownie to taste: rich, chocolatey, with a delicious cookie dough that tastes like the real thing (even though it’s gotta be eggless). I didn’t want to use a brownie that was too rich, because with the cookie dough, it could easily become overwhelming. I settled on one of my favorite chewy brownie recipes, and it paired perfectly with the lightly sweet, but flavored and absolutely delicious eggless cookie dough.
That eggless cookie dough is absolutely to die for, and would be soooooo good mixed into some vanilla ice cream or *cough cough* eaten with a spoon. Not that I’d do something like that…
When all the elements came together, you’ve got a dessert bar that’s definitely rich, but not overwhelmingly so. These Cookie Dough Brownies were everything I wanted the ones in London to be. And yeah, there’s two different components of it that you need to make, but both the brownies and the cookie dough don’t need more equipment than a bowl, a whisk, and a wooden spoon. Don’t you love that?!
Cookie Dough Brownies
For the brownies
For the brownies
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8-inch pan with parchment paper or foil and grease lightly.
- Combine the melted butter, sugars, and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each, until thoroughly blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Gradually stir flour mixture into the egg mixture until blended. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Remove, and cool pan on wire rack before adding cookie dough on top.
For the cookie dough layer
- In a medium bowl, mix together the brown sugar, white sugar, and butter until smooth. Whisk in vanilla and milk. Mix in the flour until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread cookie dough in an even layer on top of cooled brownies. Refrigerate until firmed up, about 1 hour, before cutting into squares.