These Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Ginger Cookies are incredibly fudgy and flavored with powdered ginger and chewy pieces of crystallized ginger. They have a soft, gooey center and crisp edges.
- ½ cup coconut oil, room temperature
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature OR 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax meal whisked with 2½ tablespoons water, let stand for 5 minutes to gel before using)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups (168g) blanched almond flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (3 oz, 85g) chopped dark chocolate
- ¼ cup candied/crystallized ginger, chopped
- Flaky sea salt, to sprinkle on top, optional
- Beat together the coconut oil and coconut sugar until smooth. Add the egg or flax egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add the cocoa powder, almond flour, salt, powdered ginger, and baking soda to the wet ingredients. Mix until well incorporated. Fold in the chopped chocolate and crystallized ginger. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour (can prepare up to 48 hours ahead of time).
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350ºF. Use a cookie scoop to form cookies and place on a parchment lined baking sheet; press down slightly.
- Sprinkle with flaky sea salt if desired. Bake for 10 minutes or just set around the edges.
- Store in an airtight container.