These Chocolate Cookie Butter Cups are filled with a lusciously smooth and creamy homemade cookie butter! I bet you’d never guess that these incredible homemade chocolate candies are gluten-free, paleo, and vegan.
For the cookie butter
- 1 (5.5 oz.) package Simple Mills Cinnamon Crunchy Cookies
- ⅓ cup boiling water
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ cup (85g) refined coconut oil
For the chocolate
- 6 ounces dark chocolate
OR make your own
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 3–4 tablespoons maple syrup, to taste
For the cookie butter
- Combine cookies, maple syrup, ground cinnamon, and boiling water in a blender. Blend on low-medium speed until smooth and combined. Let cool for about 5 minutes. Once cool, add coconut oil and blend until homogeneous and smooth.
- Transfer to a lidded glass jar and refrigerate to solidify the coconut oil, about an hour. Store leftover cookie butter in the refrigerator or at cool room temperature. Use as a spread or dessert topping.
For the cups
- When you’re ready to make the cups, line a muffin tin or mini muffin tin with small cupcake liners.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the dark chocolate in 30-second increments, stirring between each, until smooth and melted. Alternatively, if you’re making it yourself, whisk together the melted coconut oil, cocoa powder, and maple syrup until smooth.
- Pour a small amount of the chocolate into the bottom of each liner, until the bottom is thinly covered. Don’t use more than half the chocolate for this. Place the liners in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to harden.
- Once the bottom layer of chocolate is hard, place about 1 heaping teaspoon of the cookie butter over the chocolate. Pour enough of the chocolate mixture over the cookie butter to cover it completely (if at any point the remaining chocolate gets too thick, warm it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to remelt). Repeat until all are covered. Sprinkle with cookie crumbs if desired. Return to the refrigerator to harden completely.
- Keep stored in the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American