These Chewy Gluten-Free Vegan Sugar Cookies are quick and easy to make with just eight ingredients! They’re soft, chewy, and absolutely delightful. Perfect for the holidays, or whenever a sugar cookie craving strikes.
For the cookies
- 3 tablespoons (37g) refined coconut oil, softened with a texture similar to softened butter
- 3 tablespoons (48g) creamy cashew butter, or other creamy nut butter, I recommend avoiding peanut butter unless you want a peanut butter cookie
- ½ cup coconut sugar or raw cane sugar, use raw cane sugar or light coconut sugar for a light color
- 1 ½ flax eggs, see Notes
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp (104g) Bob’s Red Mill Paleo Baking Flour, or 1½ cups (148g) blanched almond flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
To roll the cookies in
- 3 tablespoons raw cane sugar or turbinado sugar
- In a large bowl, stir together the coconut oil, nut butter, and sugar until fully combined.
- Beat in the flax egg, then stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients, the flour, baking soda, and salt, to the wet ingredients and stir together until completely combined.
- Place dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before forming balls to make it easier to work with – you can leave the dough in the fridge (covered) for up to 48 hours.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the sugar in a small bowl to roll the cookies in.
- Use a cookie scoop to make cookie dough balls, roll into a ball with your hands, and then roll each dough ball in the sugar mixture. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Press down slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for about 9 to 11 minutes in the preheated oven, depending on the size of your cookies, or until they’ve puffed and cracked. Let cool completely on the cookie sheet.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
For the flax egg, combine 1.5 tablespoons flax meal + 4 tablespoons water in a small bowl. Whisk and let set for 10 minutes, until thickened. If you prefer, you can use a regular egg + one egg yolk.
Keywords: gluten-free sugar cookies, holiday cookies, christmas cookies, vegan sugar cookies