This Caramel Pear Crisp is a decadent and deliciously spiced dessert that’s perfect for the holidays. The caramel pear filling is spiced with cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and vanilla bean, and topped with a crunchy almond flour and pecan crisp topping. Don’t forget to serve this gluten-free, paleo, and vegan crisp with some whipped coconut cream!
- 2 pounds fresh pears, I used a mix of Anjou and Bartlett, peeled, cored and sliced into ¼” slices
- ¼ cup coconut oil or ghee, I used 4th & Heart’s Vanilla Bean Ghee, use coconut oil to keep vegan
- 2 tablespoons (14g) tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons (42g) maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the crumb topping
- 1 cup (96g) almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- ½ cup flaked coconut, chopped into bits
- ¼ cup (84g) maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil, softened (texture similar to softened butter), use refined for no coconut flavor
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
For the caramel sauce
- ½ cup cashew butter
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9” square or round casserole dish with coconut oil. Set aside.
- Place the sliced pears in a large bowl. Melt the coconut oil or ghee in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in the tapioca flour to form a paste and then whisk in the water, coconut sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and vanilla extract. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 3 minutes to thicken and melt together before removing from heat and pouring the caramel sauce over the sliced pears. Toss to coat all of the pears, and pour into the prepared pan.
- For the crumble topping, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, cardamom, cinnamon, flaked coconut, maple syrup, coconut oil, and pecans in a mixing bowl. Stir until the dry ingredients are completely moistened and then crumble evenly over the pears.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake 45-50 minutes or until the pears are tender and the crisp is bubbling, and the crumble is golden brown on top. Tent with foil if the pie starts to brown too quickly!
- For the caramel sauce, whisk together the cashew butter, maple syrup, and coconut oil. Microwave for 30 seconds, or until the ingredients are melted together, and whisk to combine.
- Serve warm or let cool before serving with caramel sauce. I recommend serving with dairy-free vanilla ice cream or whipped coconut cream. Keep any leftovers stored in the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American