- Lightly grease a 9½” round fluted tart pan or a 14″x5″ rectangle tart with a removable bottom. If you don’t have a pan with a removable bottom you could line a 8″ or 9″ square cake pan with aluminum foil, leaving an overhang of foil on two opposite sides so you can easily lift the shortbread out of the pan.
- In a small saucepan over medium melt the butter and continue to cook until it caramelizes and emits a nutty, butterscotch aroma. You will notice brown flecks in the bottom of the pan as the butter deepens in color. Be careful not to burn the butter. Remove from the heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the melted butter with the coconut sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Add the almond and coconut flours and mix until incorporated. Spread the dough evenly in the prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for at least 2 hours or up to overnight – the dough should feel hard to the touch. Do not refrigerate.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 300°F. If your pan has a removable bottom, place on a baking sheet before baking. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the shortbread is golden brown.
- Let cool completely. Melt dark chocolate in the microwave and spread evenly on the shortbread. Sprinkle with fleur de sel. Refrigerate until hard, and then cut and serve!
This recipe is adapted from my Brown Butter Shortbread recipe.
- Prep Time: 150 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: brown butter, shortbread, gluten-free, dairy-free