This is the Best Gluten-Free Vegan Pie Crust you’ve been waiting for!! After years of testing, this recipe is my all-time pie crust winner – it’s crisp, flaky, buttery, and perfect pre-baked, par-baked, or baked along with the pie filling. It’s also grain-free and paleo-friendly.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut sugar, and salt.
- Add the vegan butter and use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour until it’s in small bits, no larger than a pea. You can also do this in a food processor if you prefer.
- Add the egg and 1 tablespoon of the cold liquid. Gently mix to combine, and add the other tablespoon of liquid if needed. You can use a little bit more cold water/milk if needed for it to come together, but don’t let the dough get too wet and don’t over mix! Small streaks of butter are expected, and I recommend erring on the side of less liquid as long as the dry ingredients are all moistened.
- Wrap in plastic wrap or parchment paper and refrigerate for at least an hour, or up to 4 days.
- When you’re ready to bake, lightly flour a sheet of parchment paper with tapioca flour. Place the dough on top, add more flour to the top of the dough, and roll out into a large circle, adding more flour to prevent sticking as needed.
- Place your pie pan upside down on top of the dough, and use the parchment paper to flip the dough into the pie pan. Use it to press the dough into place, and then peel the parchment off. If it has a hard time peeling off, place the whole thing (with parchment) into the freezer. After about 10 minutes you should be able to pull it off more cleanly.
- Press the dough into place, fixing any holes, and crimping the crust as desired. This is a gluten-free crust, so it won’t be as easy to work with as a gluten crust, but be patient with yourself as the crust won’t get tough like a gluten crust will either. Trim off any excess dough (save this dough and see Notes).
- Refrigerate or freeze until you’re ready to bake.
- If you’re par-baking the crust: Preheat oven to 375°F and bake for 10 to 12 minutes to par-bake.
- If you’re baking the crust in full to add a no-bake or pre-cooked filling: Preheat oven to 375°F and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.
To make a flax egg: you’ll combine 1 tablespoon of flax meal with 2.5 tablespoons of water. Whisk them together, and allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes or until a gel consistency has formed.
For your leftover pie crust: make cinnamon sugar pie crust snacks! Lay on a baking sheet, brush with oil or melted vegan butter, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, and bake at 375°F for about 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
Keywords: pie crust, vegan, gluten-free, paleo