These easy, no-yeast Pumpkin Parmesan Bread Rolls are filled with herbs and topped with cheese. These are the perfect soup companion!
How in the world is it almost Thanksgiving?
Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely adore this time of year and all the lovely holiday baking that comes along with it, but I swear – last holiday season does not seem to be a year off already. It’s insanity! Though, because it’s pumpkin season, I’m taking it in stride and making as many pumpkin-y things as possible before it’s back to summer fruits once more.
This time of year, pumpkin-filled things are everywhere…but usually they’re sweet. Pumpkin breads, pumpkin cakes, pumpkin cinnamon rolls, all are delicious, and I love them all. But I also love pumpkin paired with cheese, and with spices and herbs, and with all the other delicious things that it goes so well with that I feel like too many people forget about.
These rolls were a random experiment that went so right. Any kind of roll that doesn’t use yeast and still tastes amazing is a good thing in my book, and flavored with pumpkin, filled with savory herbs, and topped with cheese just makes all of that even better.
These rolls aren’t your traditional bread rolls, they have a slightly different crust texture that isn’t as chewy as a regular roll, but these are still AMAZING. As soon as they came out of the oven, I grabbed one to taste. I planned on just a taste…but in seconds, butter was out, and the roll was slathered in it and devoured before anyone could stop me. If you make these, I highly suggest you do the same thing. It’s a magical experience.
In fact, I really wish I had one of these to devour right now! The batch only makes 4, but it’s easily double, or tripled, or multiplied by however many you need! They’d be perfect for Thanksgiving or just any weeknight dinner. They’re so easy to stir together and throw in the oven you can make them whenever you want. Enjoy!
- ½ cup (120g) canned pumpkin puree
- 1¼ cups (190g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (10g) baking powder
- ¼ cup (30g) + 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a medium sized baking pan or sheet.
- In a big bowl, combine grated pumpkin, flour, baking powder, salt, rosemary and ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese. Add the eggs and milk and mix with a wodden spoon. The dough will be quite wet and somewhat sticky. If necessary, add some more flour so you can shape the rolls.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions and transfer each to the baking pan. Lightly flour your hands and shape the dough portions into 4 round balls. Sprinkle them with some flour and the rest of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow the rolls to cool on the pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool until warm or room temperature. Serve and enjoy!