These Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwiches are chewy oatmeal cookies sandwiched with a creamy peanut butter frosting.
Peanut butter is one of those foods that I can’t help but love. Some people feel that way about chocolate, or caramel, and while I’m definitely not discriminating against them, it’s peanut butter that always seems to sneak into all of my recipes and make them so much richer, more flavorful, and just better. And where there’s peanut butter, peanuts tend to come along as well.
So many of my recipes on Bakerita get nutritious doses of creamy peanut butter swirled in, a generous sprinkling of peanuts for added crunch, or a dollop of peanut butter just to add a bit of richness. Whatever it is, I usually find a way to incorporate peanuts or peanut butter. My inclination to add them to just about everything has even caused my friends to point out the amount of peanuts and peanut butter I go through. But hey, every girl has her weakness, right? Mine happens to come in the form of the oh-so-delicious-and-nutritious peanut.
For my dad, that food is chocolate. He loves it, the way I love peanut butter, and when peanut butter and chocolate are combined, we both think there’s nothing better. He showed that to me when I was just a little girl with his unwavering love for peanut butter cups, and proves it again and again whenever I bake using the chocolate-peanut butter combo. Together, I find that chocolate and peanut butter is a simply unbeatable pair.
These sandwich cookies were no exception, and phrases like “best cookie ever” and, “give me another” slipped past the crumb-coated lips of everyone who tried them. They are super, duper peanut buttery in all the right ways. The oatmeal cookies are soft with a little bit of chew, but firm enough to stand up to the filling, and thin enough that they’re perfect for a sandwich cookie. The smattering of mini chocolate chips added into the cookies give the perfect hint of chocolate flavor while not at all overpowering the peanut butter flavor. And man, that filling! It’s so rich, creamy, and fluffy, and absolutely full of peanut butter.
The peanuts folded in give that wonderful extra bit of crunch. These cookie sandwiches are for major peanut butter lovers! Enjoy!
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, slightly softened
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup quick cooking oats
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup peanuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, white sugar, and peanut butter until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, oats and salt in a separate bowl; stir into the creamed mixture. Fold in the chocolate chips. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour. Make 24 dough balls (I like to do this using a cookie dough scoop to ensure uniformity) and place on an ungreased cookie sheet, preferably lined with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until just starting to get light brown. Don’t over-bake.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, peanut butter, and powdered sugar until completely combined and very creamy, 2-3 minutes. Add the heavy cream and beat for another minute. Fold in the peanuts.
- After the cookies are completely cooled, pipe or spread about 1 heaping tablespoon of peanut butter filling on the bottom-side of one cookie. Top with another cookie, pressing slightly to get the filling to the edge. Repeat with remaining cookies. Enjoy!