These Paleo Almond Coconut Chocolate Chunk Cookies are made with almond butter and big chocolate chunks for super gooey, decadent cookies! These gluten free and refined sugar free cookies will definitely satisfy your cookie craving.
Happy Friday, friends! This week has been a long and stressful one – full of divisiveness and arguments, and for a lot of us, disappointment. So, I thought we could all use a cookie. A big, warm cookie with gooey chocolate chunks, because that is something we can definitely all agree on, right?
This particular batch of cookies gets jazzed up by two of my all-time favorite ingredients: crunchy almonds + flaked coconut! The two come together with the big chunks of chocolate for an outrageously gooey and delicious cookie.
The base of the cookie starts off with two almond + coconutty ingredients: almond butter and coconut oil! Make sure to use virgin coconut oil, not refined, so you get that extra coconut flavor throughout the cookie. Almond butter adds structure and helps keep these super rich and chewy.
Coconut sugar is used to sweeten. This recipe does use one egg, but if you want to make the recipe vegan, you can substitute in a flax egg and get pretty similar results.
Almond flour is my paleo cookie flour of choice because the flavor is delicious and nutty, and it’s gets nicely golden brown and crispy around the edges. Make sure your almond flour is blanched and very finely ground for the best results!
Now for the add-ins! I love flaked coconut – the big, chunkier pieces that actually taste like coconut, not the stringy sweetened stuff. Chopped almonds are in there too, for added crunch that totally makes the texture of these cookies.
Make sure you toasted the almonds and coconut too, for max flavor impact! If you’ve made any of my chocolate cookies before…you know how I feel about chocolate chunks vs. chips! Chocolate chunks are WAY gooier, and way more delicious.
I’m a big advocate of taking the extra minute or two to chop up your own chocolate from a good, high quality dark chocolate bar. It’s so worth it! But if you do opt for chips, Ghirardelli’s stay the meltiest.
Okay now, time to get baking. You know you need a big, gooey, melty almond coconut chocolate chunk cookie right now – don’t you? Enjoy!
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil, room temperature
- ¼ cup creamy almond butter
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (192g) blanched almond flour
- ⅓ cup flaked coconut, toasted
- ⅓ cup chopped almonds, toasted
- ⅔ cup (4 oz.) chopped dark chocolate (make your own chocolate to keep 100% Paleo)
- Flaky sea salt, to sprinkle on top (optional)
- In a bowl or stand mixer, beat together the almond butter, coconut oil and coconut sugar until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, salt, and baking soda to the wet ingredients. Mix until well incorporated. Fold in the toasted coconut, almonds, and chopped chocolate. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 48 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and use a cookie scoop to form cookies. Place cookies 2” apart and press down slightly. Sprinkle with a bit of flaky sea salt if desired. Bake for 11 minutes or just beginning to turn golden brown around the edges.
- Let cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet and then move to a cooling rack to cool completely.