This No-Bake Chocolate Banana Tart has an easy date crust, filled with creamy chocolate ganache and sliced bananas! This quick and simple recipe is only has five ingredients and it’s gluten-free, Paleo and vegan.
Sometimes, simple is the best. While I love to create recipes with tons of fabulous ingredients, that take a bit of standing time in the kitchen to create, there’s other times (like when I’m baking in this summer heat) that I want a recipe that’s the wham-bam-thank-you-ma’am kind of simple.
And nothing says simple quite like a no-baking-required dessert made with just five ingredients, am I right?
San Diego has been a pleasant 80-ish degrees this week, but I know so many of you are practically melting into puddles in the summer heat right now, and the thought of turning on an oven makes you melt even more.
So, we’re skipping the oven today. In fact, we’re skipping any cooking at all, except for heating up some milk, which can totally be done in the microwave.
For our no-bake crust? We’re using dates and almonds. I somehow think I have never posted a recipe using a date crust, though I’ve made them a few times over the years. Date crusts are so simple and delicious. They typically have a base of dates and nuts. I opted to use almonds, but you can definitely substitute in a different nut if you have something else on hand.
The dates and nuts are combined in a food processor or high-powered blender until it comes together in a sticky dough. I over-blended my crust a bit, so it was more soft and chewy, but if you pulse until just combined with little bits of almond still remaining, you get a chewy crust with a bit of crunch that provides the perfect base to the tart.
The filling is a simple chocolate ganache, made with dark chocolate and non-dairy milk. I used almond milk because it was in the fridge, but any kind of milk or cream would work here.
Sliced bananas top the chocolate ganache, and for some crunch, I sprinkled toasted almonds on top of them. The whole shebang got drizzled with a bit more chocolate ganache.
After a chill in the fridge to firm up the chocolate, it’s ready to devour! The whole thing takes maybe fifteen minutes to put together, and it’s so incredibly delicious – you’d never all that flavor came from only five ingredients.
My family went to town on this one when they came over for Sunday dinner, and I could feel good about feeding them a treat that wasn’t so unhealthy. I hope this one makes it’s way into your kitchen too!
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!
- 1½ cups (about 15) Medjool dates, pitted
- 1½ cups raw almonds
- ⅓ cup non-dairy milk
- 6 oz. dark chocolate, chopped into chunks
- 2 bananas, sliced
- ¼ cup almonds, chopped and toasted
- Lightly grease a 14x5" rectangular tart pan or 9" tart pan with coconut oil. Set aside.
- Add the pitted dates and almonds to a food processor or high-powered blender and pulverize until it comes together into a "dough", with small almond bits remaining. Press the almond date dough evenly along the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan.
- Place the chocolate chunks into a heat-proof bowl. Heat the non-dairy milk on the stove until just simmering, or in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Pour the milk over the chocolate, making sure all the chocolate is submerged, and let sit for a minute or two. Stir until smooth.
- Reserve a small amount of the melted chocolate to drizzle if desired, and then smooth the rest evenly over the crust.
- Arrange the banana slices over the chocolate, sprinkle almonds over the bananas, and drizzle the remaining chocolate over everything.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least an hour to set before serving.