These soft and sweet Coconut Cupcakes have a coconut truffle stuffed in the middle, and are topped with an tangy, creamy white chocolate cream cheese frosting! This irresistible treat with be a favorite of any coconut lover.
Whew, this post has been a long time coming. I posted a picture of these cupcakes on my Instagram what feels like forever ago, and I’ve had people asking me to post the recipe since!
However, I am a college student, and around here, it’s finals season. Unfortunately for both me and all of you, that means baking has been pushed to the back burner to make room for business law, international management, spanish, and economics.
Yeah, I prefer baking too.
These cupcakes have been an idea that’s been brewing ever since I made my Ferrero-Rocher Stuffed Chocolate Cupcakes with Nutella Buttercream. I knew I could totally recreate them in different versions, and coconut was the first idea that came to my mind.
Probably because I’m obsessed with these Raffaello Candies and knew they would be incredible stuffed inside a cupcake. Well, not to toot my own horn…but I was totally right.
The cupcakes are on the denser side, filled with coconut, with the most delicious flavor and delightful texture. The truffle in the middle is a wonderful surprise, and the white chocolate cream cheese frosting is super creamy, with the perfect mix of tangy and sweet.
I do love my coconut, but I know there are a lot of haters out there. Unfortunately, this isn’t the cupcake for you – but you should definitely make whatever your favorite cupcakes are and throw some of this frosting on top. It’s pretty darn amazing.
Coconut lovers, my main people, my soul mates, well, these are for you. Love them as I did. Enjoy every last bite! Send me some.
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 4 ounces sweetened, shredded coconut
- 15 white truffles (see notes)
- 4 oz. good quality white chocolate, melted and cooled to room temperature
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 oz. cream cheese, slightly colder than room temperature
- 2½ cups (300g) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Extra coconut, if desired, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In 3 parts, alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold in 4 ounces of coconut.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Fill each liner ⅓ of the way with batter. Press in one truffle. Fill the liner up ¾ of the way full, covering the truffle. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove to a baking rack and cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter for 3-5 minutes, until completely smooth and lightened in color.
- Add in the cream cheese and mix for about 30 seconds, until there are no more lumps. Don't overmix here or you icing will be too soft to pipe. Add in the white chocolate and mix until it is just incorporated.
- Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and heavy cream, and mix for about 1 minute or until the icing is creamy and smooth. Add more heavy cream if necessary.
- Frost the cupcakes however you desire, and sprinkle with coconut. Enjoy!
Cupcake recipe adapted from Ina Garten’s Coconut Cupcakes