This recipe is actually part of a contest. A peanut butter contest! If you follow my blog, you know I absolutely love peanut butter, and I’ve even guest posted for the National Peanut Board. When they asked me to participate in a peanut butter recipe contest for National Peanut Month, answering no didn’t even cross my mind.
I’m normally a cereal or oatmeal for breakfast kind of girl, but I love the occasional obscenely decadent breakfast – like this one. These peanut butter sweet rolls (which I’m calling them because calling them a cinnamon roll seemed wrong, considering they had no cinnamon) can totally be a dessert too. Any excuse to eat cream cheese frosting for breakfast is a good one in my opinion, especially when it contains peanut butter.
Because chocolate and peanut butter are a match made in heaven, I used chocolate peanut butter and mini chocolate chips in mine, but if you want a straight up peanut butter roll, use regular peanut butter and forget the chocolate chips. It’ll be peanut-buttery goodness all around.
Now, now. Contest rules. I’m competing against some amazing bloggers, all with drool-worthy recipes. But! It’s not just about the recipes. You, as voters, will have the opportunity to win a Peanut Butter Lover’s Prize Pack and a $25 gift card! So make sure you head over to the National Peanut Board’s Facebook Page by clicking here or on the picture below and cast your vote for the most scrumptious sounding recipe. Oh, and you can vote once a day through November 30th, so make sure that you vote for your favorites daily.
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 3¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (.25 ounce) package instant yeast
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup water
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup chocolate peanut butter (or regular creamy PB)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons heavy cream
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in butter; stir until melted. Let cool until lukewarm.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 2¼ cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt; mix well. Add water, egg and the milk mixture; beat well. Add the remaining flour, ½ cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has just pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together peanut butter and brown sugar.
- Roll out dough into a 12x9 inch rectangle. Spread dough with peanut butter mixture. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips. Roll up dough and pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 equal size rolls and place cut side up in a greased 9x13 pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until browned. Top with frosting.
- Cream together the cream cheese and peanut butter in a mixing bowl. Add in the powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. Beat until completely smooth. Add in more heavy cream if you want a thinner consistency. Spread on the baked rolls and top with more mini chocolate chips if desired. Serve!