These Caramel Coconut Chocolate Chunk Cookies are chewy, crispy, and full of melty chocolate and caramel! The sweet coconut makes these cookies even more unique and delicious.
I’m home! Finally done with the fall semester, and back in San Diego (AKA the sun, which is so much less depressing than the constant Washington rain). Best part of being back? Clearly being back in my kitchen.
Sorry family and friends…love you guys.
But being back in my kitchen and being able to make Christmas cookies is amazing, and something I’m definitely not taking for granted. I was meaning to make these cookies at school, because they are a cookie full of my friend Mariah’s three favorite flavors – which she made me memorize – but time got away from me, and I decided to make them at home…where Mariah wouldn’t get any. Sorry.
However, everyone here loves them, and are definitely grateful they got made in San Diego. The cookie recipe is my go-to, which I tweak every time I make it based on the recipes needs and the flavors I’m going for.
They are soft from the bit of added cornstarch, a little bit chewy, and a little bit crunchy. Not too thin, not too thick. Straight out of the oven, these are cookie perfection. The caramel and chocolate are melty and hot, and beg for a dunk in cold milk.
When they cool, the caramel is chewy, the chocolate is well, chocolatey, and the coconut gets a little crunchy. Perfection.
Whether you make these for the holidays, for Santa, wait until after your New Years Resolution to be healthy have passed, or in a desperate attempt to drown your holiday stress in chocolate and sugar, you won’t be disappointed!
- 2 sticks (8 oz.) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup (6 oz.) white sugar
- 1½ (10 oz.) cups light brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3½ cups (1 lb.) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (6 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chunks (you can buy pre-made or chop the chocolate yourself!)
- 1 cup caramel bits (I used Kraft brand)
- 1 cup shaved unsweetened coconut, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cream the butter and the sugars until light and fluffy. Scrape down the side of the bowl. Continue mixing while adding the eggs one at time. Make sure each egg is incorporated before adding the next. Add the vanilla. Scrape down the bowl with a spatula.
- In a different bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt in another bowl. With the machine on low, slowly add the flour. Mix until just combined, taking care not to over mix. With a spatula fold in the chocolate, caramel and coconut.
- Scoop onto a baking sheet lined with Silpat liners or parchment paper with a medium-sized cookie scoop (or make golf-ball sized balls). Bake for 13-18 minutes. They should be lightly golden on the outside but still look very slightly gooey on the inside.